Saskatchewan Waste Packaging and Paper Stewardship Plan Approved by Saskatchewan MOENews posted on January 1, 2014
On December 20, 2013, the Saskatchewan Ministry of the Environment approved the Waste Packaging and Paper Stewardship Plan that had been submitted by Multi-Material Stewardship Western (MMSW) in August and revised in December 2013. The plan was developed by representatives from Retail Council of Canada, Food and Consumer Products of Canada, and the Canadian Food and Restaurant Association. The program plan can be read here.
The program will launch on January 1, 2015. More information on MMSW, which is part of CSSA’s family of recycling organizations, and the program can be found at: www.mmsk.ca. This website will be refreshed as new information is available. For any questions you may have, you can call the CSSA Steward Services team on 1-888-980-9549 or email:
MMSW’s program is a shared responsibility program with stewards bearing 75 per cent and municipalities bearing the remaining 25 per cent of the costs of delivering efficient and effective recycling services to Saskatchewan residents.
What’s Next for MMSW Stewards?
We will shortly reach out to those stewards impacted by the new MMSW program with details on the steps you will need to take to register with MMSW and submit your 2014 reports.
Reporting for MMSW’s program is being harmonized with other packaging and printed paper programs. The submission deadline will be May 31, 2014. Your report will be based on your 2013 sales data as with other programs.
MMSW is currently working on developing a small business policy, which we will be sharing with the Saskatchewan business community in the coming months. Watch your inbox for details.